Vacation Bible Camp
FAQs for Parents
1. What is the registration deadline for Vacation Bible Camp?
There is NO registration deadline for VBC—we accept new children even on the very last day! However, we do have deadlines for pre-registration which allows you to receive your child's materials prior to the first day:
- Paper & Online Pre-registration deadline: Sunday, May 31 at 11:59pm
- All children who miss the pre-registration deadline dates may register on Monday morning, June 8. Registration will open at 8:15am at the information desk in the Children's Wing.
2. What are the hours for Vacation Bible Camp? VBC is from 9am-noon, June 8-12.
3. How do I know where to take my child on the first day?
All children are assigned to a small group. The group is listed on the front of each child’s materials that you receive either on May 31 or June 7th or on your child’s first day (in the Children's Wing). Each small group has a designated section in the Auditorium (rows are labeled). All children should go to their group’s section each morning.
4. What time should I bring my children each morning?
If you need to register a child, we recommend that you arrive no later than 8:30am, as the registration line is often very long on Monday and Tuesday mornings. On Monday morning, we recommend that you arrive no later than 8:30 if you still need to pick up your child’s materials. For all other days, please have your child to his/her designated group no later than 8:55am.
5. How do I know where to pick up my child?
Your child’s pickup location is listed on the sticker on their materials (it will not be where you dropped him/her off). Also, the small group leader will give you a pick-up location note on the first day that your child attends so that you know where to pick up him/her.
6. What if someone other than me is picking up my child?
You must indicate a FAMILY PASSWORD on your child's registration. Anyone who gives this password may pick up your child. Sign-out is required to identify the individual(s) who picked up in case there are questions. If you register during VBC week, you will sign a “Family Password Parent Authorization” note. Authorization forms will be given to you when you register.
7. My child can attend only 2 of the 5 days. Do I still pay the entire fee?
Yes, the fee is the same whether a child attends all 5 days or just for one day, as each child will receive the same student materials no matter how many days they attend. Scholarships are available; please email Renee Pecek to request a scholarship code.
8. My child will be four years old after VBC. Can he/she still attend?
If your child turns four no later than June 30, he or she may attend. If your child is younger than 4, we encourage parents to serve at VBC so your child can attend mini-VBC for ages birth-3 years of age. Mini-VBC is provided for workers' children only; workers must be Parkside attendees or members in order to serve at VBC.
9. Can my child bring a friend? YES! We encourage children to bring friends to VBC, and ALL non-Parkside friends attend VBC for FREE! Every child must be registered--even "FREE" Friends. Friends must be VBC-age (4 years old-5th grade). When pre-registration opens (May 1-31), friends may be registered here: www.parksidechurch.com/vbcfriend
10. My child would like to bring a friend who is younger than he is. Is this allowed?
In the case of differences in age, we either place the children together in the youngest child’s age group or we separate the children into their age-appropriate groups (your choice). We do not move younger children up to an older age group. All children who attend must be at least four years of age by June 30.
11. How many friends may my child invite?
Kids are encouraged to invite as many friends as they would like, and ALL non-Parkside friends come for FREE! However, we may not be able to accommodate all requests to be placed with friends if it is a large number of children. We recommend parents divide a large number of friends (for example, a group of children coming from the same neighborhood) into 2 or 3 groups so that every child has at least one friend they know.
12. Will I receive confirmation that my child is registered?
For online registrations, you will receive confirmation by email. For paper registrations, you will receive either an email or postcard.
13. Do I need to pick up my child’s materials in advance or can we just show up on the first day? It is VERY helpful if you can pick up your child’s materials in advance, as this provides you with the group your child has been assigned to as well as your child’s pick-up location. Materials will be available for pre-registered children on Sundays, May 31 or June 7 in the Children's Wing.
14. I can’t pick up my child’s materials before VBC. What should I do?
You may either have a friend pick up your materials for you, or you may pick them up on the first day your child attends. On Monday, June 8, there will be a separate table near Registration for pre-registered children who need to get their materials. You do not need to wait in the main registration line.
15. When can I purchase a T-shirt for my child?
T-shirts will be available on Sundays, May 31 & June 8 and during the week of VBC (while supplies last). T-shirts are $5 each.
16. Are t-shirts required?
No, parents are not required to purchase VBC t-shirts for their children.
17. What should my child wear to VBC?
Casual attire is best (shorts, t-shirts) with close-toed shoes (no flip flops, please; tennis shoes preferred). Your child will have a recreation time outside every day, and they will need to be comfortably dressed.
18. I have a child with special needs.
Can he/she still attend? Please contact Julie Pelletier directly to discuss your child’s needs (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will make every effort to provide a wonderful VBC week for your child.
19. What types of snacks do you provide?
Snacks vary from day-to-day, but we offer items such as pretzels, go-gurt yogurt, grapes, goldfish crackers, and trail mix (no nuts). We serve water to drink.
20. My child has food allergies. Do you provide special foods for children with allergies?
We are unable to provide special snacks for children with allergies. We ask that parents send in a separate snack for their child if they have concerns. Please keep in mind that snack time is usually only about 10 minutes long, so an appropriately-sized snack is requested.
21. We’ve never been to your church before, and my child is a bit nervous. May I stay with my child?
We understand that the size of our building and the number of children who are attending may be somewhat intimidating; unfortunately, the designated group rows cannot accommodate children, staff and parents. We suggest that you plan to arrive early on your child’s first day and sit with your child for a bit in an unmarked row, allowing your child to have time to adjust to the environment of VBC before they join their small group (by 9:00 am) in their designated row. Parents are welcome to sit in unmarked rows at the back of our Auditorium to view our opening assembly each morning.